Sunday, August 30, 2009

Thanks everyone for your support.

On August 26th, I finished my 100 days of protesting. I was 10 days behind schedule and there were other elements of my protest fell short of my expectations but overall it was a great experience and one that I hope will encourage me to continue in the survivor movement.

I think it is important to have a sustained effort to send the message to these facilities that abuses of human rights will not be tolerated silently and so I want to continue with my protest, although at a more practical scale. I am thinking once a week for a year is a more manageable goal. I also want to explore other means of activism and advocacy including participating in other protests organized by fellow activists. I am currently planning a website to collaborate with other survivors and activists to share our stories and help raise awareness of psychiatric abuse.

I hope that this is just an introduction into the world of activism and that I can devote a substantial part of my life to this important cause. 'Mental health' remains in many ways the last frontier of civil rights - largely untouched by mainstream media and the mass of public conscience. It remains up to us, who experienced the horrors of psychiatry personally, to witness our experience with the rest of the world and do what we can to tilt the scales of the system in the direction of justice and human rights. Thanks again to everyone for being a part of this experience.

- - -
I will be keeping this blog up and hope to continue with my activism efforts. If you were abused at a psychiatric facility and want to publish your experience on this blog - please email me 100dayprotest@gmail.com .

2 comments:

  1. Hi. Thanks for what you're doing. I don't have a story of incarceration, but I'm a survivor of psychiatric abuse and I wasn't even blessed enough to escape the person who had this done to me. It started in my early adolescence when some stuff I was doing was misinterpreted and chalked up to a brain defect. I had been mostly carefree before, but this stuff messed up my head sometimes to a point where I had to keep myself from thinking. I experienced a lot of horrors on that stuff and then coming off. The way in which I had been treated on those drugs started to sink in. I was deceived while on that stuff and didn't know what it was.
    Unfortunately it's hard to have credibility once we've been through this because anything we say that people find hard to hear can be chalked up to craziness. Some of the damage is still there and no one understands. I wonder what we can do to help our credibility.
    My mom is very controlling and still lives with us. My husband doesn't understand and doesn't have much patience when something isn't convenient for him, and sometimes he tries to take advantage of the psychiatric abuse. I tell him that this is unacceptable and not loving, but apparently he thinks it's okay if he's ticked off or in a bad situation or something. I might show him part of your interview so that he knows what kind of horrors could await if he acted thoughtlessly. I don't know whether this would do any good. Did you say that you were Indian? He is, so maybe he can identify with you from that.
    I'm sorry about some of the remarks you've gotten for your interview. You've been through enough without being brushed off and not believed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. I did state that I am from India. In fact, I'm from southern India (a state called Kerala), although I am pretty much a 'westerner' by now.

    I'm sorry for the abuse you went through but I'm glad that you took the time and effort to speak out. It really is important to for me as a survivor to hear the feedback from others who went through similar experiences. It's been quite a while since I received any comments on the blog and your comment reminds me how important it is for me to get back to my activism efforts - even if on a much lighter scale. Right now I am taking a break to re-focus my life, but I can't wait to return to my activism.

    A good resource for psychiatric survivors like us is http://mindfreedom.org; I hope you check it out. If you are interested, I have a website http://fhabuse.org has some additional links. You can also email me at 100dayprotest@gmail.com. I hope everything works out okay.

    In solidarity,

    Godly Mathew.

    ReplyDelete